What is Proofreading?
Proofreading is the process of reviewing and checking written work to find and correct production errors. It comes after copyediting and is the final step in the editorial cycle before a manuscript is submitted for publication.
- A proofreader should help to ensure that a text is ready to be published. You can think of it as the final quality check.
- The proofreader works near the end of the publication process and is usually looking for remaining errors that must be corrected.
- Unless a proofreader has been specifically briefed to do so as extra paid tasks, the proofreader will not be rewording sentences, making larger structural interventions such as reordering blocks of text or inserting headings, or fact-checking (but may raise a query about anything that seems wrong).
What is an Error?
- Spelling errors (where different spellings are acceptable, the word should be spelled consistently within a document)
- Serious, unarguable errors of punctuation, especially where they allow ambiguity or obscure the meaning
- Inconsistently spelled or hyphenated names
- Bad word breaks that make reading the text difficult
- Incorrect text headings and page headers/footers (checked against the contents list if there is one)
- Incorrect page numbers and cross-references
- Missing text
- Repeated text
- Wrongly placed or incorrect captions and annotations.
What document format do you accept?
MSWord or Google Docs, but not limited to.
How do you provide feedback?
Feedback is provided using active Track Changes, by way of inline comments, suggestions, and detailed notes.
What is the turnaround time?
I have a reputation for working fast, yet efficiently. The time to process a manuscript differs from one project to the next. When you order my proofreading service, your manuscript is scheduled and prioritised in my schedule. The delivery timeline is specified by the client, and confirmed by mutual agreement, schedule permitting.
How do I order your Proofreading Service?
Order this service here on Real Life REBEL℠. Complete the Proofreading Request Form at the bottom of this page, to receive a custom offer for your consideration. Pay conveniently and securely via PayPal or Payoneer.
- Complete the Proofreading Request Form and Submit.
- Receive confirmation via email.
- Submit your manuscript for evaluation.
- Receive a custom offer for your consideration.
- Upon acceptance of the custom offer, receive a Payment Request via PayPal or Payoneer, depending on your preference.
- Pay conveniently and securely via PayPal or Payoneer.
- Receive confirmation of receipt of payment and order.
- Order will be processed.
- Receive feedback and on-time delivery.